Thursday, August 18, 2011

Manic Mirror




She is following me

I see her in every corner

in every window.

Occasionally I smile at her

sometimes I am shocked

when she smiles back.

Today she is painted

pink on her lips

hair in perfect place

glistening skin

feet in flip flops

legs climbing to

a hint of belly

I see a smile

an arm

and I wonder

who she really is.

Who is this woman

with a cracked foundation

walking briskly

in long strides

nursing a travel mug

oblivious to

passersby

fading out of sight

seeking places to escape

to sit and write?

Technically, I am middle-aged

dishwater hair roots

strands of sunbleached gold

straggly ends of platinum

eyes that wrinkle

behind sunglasses

and a mouth

that sometimes trembles

so ready to cry

for yesterday

and days gone by

when I should have

could have

wanted to

but didn't.

So, here I am

smelling of raspberries

and vanilla with

life blood dripping

through my keyboard

in the midday

of my pre-menopausal,

pausing through

my woman body

reminding me

there is still

so much to do.



.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:53 PM

    She is the essence of self. The culmination of being. Grace and bearing, superfluous in what is good and right. Dignity and character supreme. The wrapping wears with time and yet, adds character to the indomiable spirit. Your essence. The world is thine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful response, truly touched. xo

    ReplyDelete