Friday, July 09, 2010

New York Jets


My Fifth grade teacher asked the whole class to write to any company, public figure, group or government official to see what kind of interesting souveneirs could be acquired to display in class. I chose to write the New York Jets, professing a false love for game to disguise my secret crush on their quarterback, Joe Namath.. Letters of requests were sent, with instructions to mail the items to us at the school. I waited throughout the following three weeks as my classmates received manila envelopes, packages of various sizes containing T-shirts, pens and stickers. Nothing at all had been sent for me. I felt let down, believing I was going to one of the few to get nothing at all...when along comes the final and biggest package of all, from the Jets! Loaded with pens, paper, stickers, binders with the Jets logo, a football, and too much more to recall. I was the happiest kid in my class.

The gratuity of the New York Jets earned my respect for life. I eventually grew to learn and love the sport. If only I had made the specific request then...for something autographed, I keep thinking in hindsight. So someday...I will have that football signed by Joe, making a school girl's wish come true....

No comments:

Post a Comment