Monday, July 27, 2020

When Can You Safely Resume a Massage?

Dear clients, Clients are asking me if I will resume practicing massage therapy when guidelines are met under Governor Gavin Newsom Phases. As of today, there is nothing yet that has changed about the inherent risks of giving and receiving massage therapy during this pandemic except that we now better understand more of the risks directly associated to COVID-19 and massage therapy. Guidelines are given under the "personal services category" are simply suggestions in order to shift the liability from the state to the provider of service, with no recourse whatsoever. In other words, there is no real protection to you as a client or to myself as your massage practitioner. While California is being extremely cautious, I have found most guidelines to be flawed with contradictions such as the failure to address the asymptomatic spread of COVID-19. The importance of a client intake now has to be updated to checking for symptoms and temperatures. Even with these added steps, the screening will not prevent asymptomatic positive COVID-19 clients who have no symptoms, from exposing me and I could unknowingly become a vector for my other clients. Without testing, potentially weeks will pass before one of us tested positive and at that time, I would have broken my ethic to "do no harm" to each and every client I had contact after the fact. Guidelines calling for me to provide disposable masks to my clients and “medical” masks for ourselves, face shields, gloves, gowns to change between every client, and EPA certified disinfectant products are unrealistic when supplies are difficult to acquire, not to mention the high cost. Masks still leave a risk of the aerosolized virus from regular breathing within 6 feet of the person infected. As providers, the guidelines tell us to maintain 6ft physical distance at all times, except for when the service we perform prevents us from doing so. The spread of aerosolized virus is a greater risk when you are within 6ft of someone, even if you are both wearing masks and particularly if you are within 6ft for longer than 15 minutes. With the actual massage sessions averaging from 60-90 minutes, your safety cannot be guaranteed. As this virus attacks the world stage, we are learning more every day from doctors all over the globe who are sharing discoveries in order to best protect and treat us. A newly discovered from many doctors who agree is the risk of blood clots in COVID-19 patients. Mounting evidence now suggests that blood clotting is a symptom of COVID-19 even from those who present absolutely no other symptoms. Blood circulation from massage is directly relevant, due to the possibility of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), stroke and pulmonary embolism even with patients who were not at risk before COVID-19. DVT is one of the most concerning contraindications for massage and due to the difficulty in screening for it on intake because people never even know they have it. I am always concerned if muscle cramping and pain from DVT are actually the motivating reason for someone seeking a massage. So, my conclusion, as hard as it is on me financially and for the overall well-being I want my clients to have, is that I could meet and follow the guidelines, and still expose my clients to potentially serious health consequences that could even result in death. I cannot knowingly "cause harm" even if I lose my unemployment. This is a commitment I made that I am unwilling to break. There will be massage businesses opening when technically able to, and there will be as with everything else in this crisis, a lot of disagreement among professionals. I hope that each and every one of you are informed enough to make the right choices. I am here for all of you and I am happy to answer any of your questions, particularly on your safety to obtaining a massage. Thank you for your patience, and I look forward to working with you as soon as it is safe. Warm Regards, Dora Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment